Friday 22 February 2013

KOLAM

KOLAM

The Art of Kolam has inspired me even at the age of 7, when I remember that with my tiny fingers, I tried to make small dots for a Kolam and spilled the whole kolam powder from the cup. 

This folk art of India is always my favourite one.

Usually this Kolam is drawn before sunrise in front of the house with powder made out of rice. ( Nowadays white stone powders are used on economic consideration) Some times I use the red brick powder also for outer lining  of the Kolam. When these Kolam are drawn with rice powder, the tiny ants would come and eat the rice powder. Kolam felicitates a service of providing food to the ants.

Prior the drawing Kolam, the area is cleaned with broomstick and all the dirty particles are removed. Then cow dung is mixed in a bucket full of water and sprayed on the cleaned surface. This cow dung has the power of antiseptic and the entire area becomes hygienic.

For drawing Kolam, I have to bend my body to the extent of touching my feet and it is a very good exercise and also I breath the fresh pure Oxygen air in the early morning without any pollution. 

My grandma used to say that her memory power has improved by drawing various types of Kolams of old and new designs, as these designs require number of specified dots in vertical and horizontal positions. Even if one dot is missed, the whole effort of drawing Kolam will become waste and once again the dots are to be correctly marked. These develop the memory power as to remember the number of dots and its positions accurately.

Also. around these dots curved lines are to be drawn and it should end with the starting point.

It is believed in southern part of India that Goddess Lakshmi blesses the houses with Kolams  of good health, wealth and good luck.

During the Tamil month of Marghazi, the entire street will be filled with Kolams drawn in front of all the houses by its lady members.

There are special type of Rangoli Kolam desgins are geometrical shape of flowers, birds etc., etc.

There is no end for creativity and imagination of drawings designs of Kolams.

Everyday I see new Kolam on streets.  But old and festival time Kolam has its own traditional value and I give importance to them.








No comments:

Post a Comment